Rowing Project Hazelwood House The Wynnes About Us
Hazelwood House is an 18th-century Palladian style country house located in a 70 acre demesne in Calry parish 2 miles south-east of Sligo town in north-west Ireland. It consists of a 5-bay by 3-bay main block in 3-storeys with 2-storey wings on either side connected to the main block by single- storey quadrants. The building is constructed of limestone ashlar with slate roofs
Located in a beautiful part of Sligo County on the shoreline of enigmatic Lough Gill, with views of Ben Bulben and Knocknarea stands in its own forest Hazelwood House. It is an 18th-century Palladian style country house located in a 70 acre demesne, that once consisted of 15,000. As well as retaining it very important and high quality architectural value, the house is also significant for its social and historical prominence.
Design of the House Detached multiple-bay two- and three-storey over basement limestone mansion, built c. 1731, occupied by Wynne family for two-hundred years, lay empty from c. 1923-1930, the estate except house sold to Land Commission and State Forestry Department c. 1937, occupied by Irish Army c. 1943, house purchased by Department of Health c. 1947 for use as psychiatric hospital c. 1947, bought by Italian manufacturing company c. 1969 and incorporated into factory complex, and lain in poor condition since c. 1987. Three-bay three-storey over basement main house thee bays deep, five-bay single- storey quadrants to east and west sides curving forwards to, three-bay two-storey wings each three- bays deep, three-storey flat-roofed fire escape c. 1970 to north of east elevation of main house, three-bay two-storey south-west wing c. 1870 attached to south of west elevation of main house, various single- and two-storey buildings c. 1870 to south of west wing and west of main house. Hipped slate roofs, lead ridge and hip cappings, ashlar corbelled chimney-stacks, lead-lined parapet gutters to main house, half-round cast-iron gutters on eaves corbel course to wings, cast-iron downpipes. Ashlar walling to north elevation main house and quadrant wings; uncoursed rubble walling to east, south and west elevations main house; ruled-and-lined smooth-rendered walling to wings; plain rusticated quoins to south elevation and ground floor north elevation main house; moulded plinth, first floor platband and sill course, plain frieze, modillion cornice and parapet blocking course to main house; tooled ashlar quoins to wings. Square-headed window openings to main house; Gibbs surrounds to ground floor, eared architraves to first floor, kneed and eared architraves to second floor; north elevation with first floor central aedicule with Ionic columns and pilasters and round-headed niches flanking window with swag in niche over set within archivolt, second floor with recessed circular niches flanking central window; south elevation with first floor central Venetian window with Doric pilastered aedicules flanking window with archivolt containing cartouche over; painted two-over-two timber sash windows c.1900. Round-headed openings to quadrant wings set in pilastered arcade, openings blocked-up, circular spherical recesses in frieze over each opening. Square-headed window openings to wings, Gibbs surrounds to ground floor, plain ashlar surrounds to first floor, openings blocked-up. Pedimented entrance doorcase to north elevation, main house; Gibbs surrounds to square-headed entrance door opening flanked by square-headed windows, cartouche in tympanum; timber panelled door c. 1970 with painted timber flanking pilasters, moulded transom, round-headed plain-glazed fanlight in archivolt; windows blocked-up; stone approach steps with flanking ashlar walls terminating in pedestals surmounted by urns. Venetian doorcase to south elevation, main house; central door opening with archivolt with keystone flanked by square-headed sidelights with Gibbs surrounds; painted timber panelled double doors c. 1900, glazed three-pane overlight, plain-glazed sidelights; stone staircase over basement area, flanked by giant consoles. Interior with room off hall with cross-vaulted ceiling with decorative plaster enrichments; dentilled cornice; fluted Ionic pilasters flanking doorcase with consoles, cornice and overdoor all heavily enriched. Two-storey stable block ranges to east; hipped slate roofs to north range, pitched slate roof to south range, clay ridge and hip tiles, half-round cast- iron gutters on eaves corbel courses; uncoursed rubble limestone walling; square-headed window openings, moulded ashlar surrounds to main openings, brick dressings to secondary openings; segmental-headed carriage openings to north and south ranges, ashlar dressings; elliptically-headed openings to south range, brick dressings. Situated in parkland, now in use as industrial premises, factory complex to south, approximately three-kilometres from Sligo town, Garavogue River to the west.
Development Planning permission has been sought for a €100 million development at the site of Hazelwood House in Sligo, one of Ireland's historical former stately homes. Developers have applied to Sligo County Council for planning permission to restore the Palladian-style mansion on the shores of the Garavogue river which was occupied by the Wynne family for almost 200 years until the 1920s. Foresthaze Developments is also seeking planning permission for the demolition of the former Snia/Saehan Media factory on the estate and for the construction of 158 detached houses, and 54 apartments in four blocks on the 81 acre site. The developers say the project would be a significant visitor attraction and would operate under the stewardship of the Irish Heritage Trust. A factory was built on the Hazelwood Demesne in the early 1970s for the Italian nylon manufacturer Snia. The firm's factory closed down in 1982 and the premises was sold to Korean company Saehan Media which made video tapes at the plant for 15 years until 2006. The property was sold to a mainly local consortium in April 2006 for a reported price tag of €7-€10 million. The new owners, Foresthaze Developments, lodged their application on December 18, 2007. Development Conclusion S ligo County Council has refused planning permission for a proposed major development around the historic Hazelwood House and the former Saehan Media factory on the shore of Lough Gill. Foresthaze Developments Ltd had applied for 10-year planning permission for development that included the demolition of the former Saehan Media factory; the restoration of Hazelwood House, the development of five retail units, and the construction of 158 detached houses, 54 apartments in four blocks, 13 berths, a crèche and two ESB substations/switch rooms. However, on Friday last, Sligo County Council decided to refuse the application. A decision had been due last February but Sligo County Council extended the time until last weekend after the applicants applied for an extension. Meanwhile, concern has been expressed about the state of repair of Hazelwood House, the owners of which were served with a Section 59 notice by Sligo County Council last May, requiring them to carry out a range of remedial works, Clr. Declan Bree, who recently tabled a motion asking what action had been taken by the council to prevent the protected structure from becoming endangered, recalled that it was pointed out at a May meeting of councillors that rain water was leaking into Hazelwood House. They had been advised by officials that a Section 59 Order was served on the owners of the house so as to ensure they would take the necessary measures to make the roof watertight, thereby protecting the interior of the building. Mr. Joe Murphy, Senior Executive Officer, Enforcement Section, confirmed that a Section 59 Notice was served on the owners of Hazelwood House last May requiring five different elements of work, including the protection and repair of the roof, to be carried out by the end of August. He revealed that an inspection carried out on September 22 last confirmed that no works had been undertaken to address the issues set out in the Section 59 notice. Clr. Hubert Keaney, who also tabled a motion seeking an update on the matter, said the Council had an obligation to ensure that the works were carried out in accordance with the Section 59 Notice served on the owners. According to Hazelwood Action Group, which opposed Foresthaze's planning application, Sligo County Council's refusal acknowledged the importance of the Hazelwood House and the natural habitats that surround it. "The current enforcement order, 1305, to carry out repairs to the roof must also be pursued," the Action Group stated
Contact the Hazelwood Heritage Society