The Hazelwood Wynnes originated from Wales claiming descent from a distinguished chieftain of the 12th century in Merionetshire. The first of the family to settle in Ireland was Owen Wynne who received a grant of lands in and around Lurganboy, and was succeeded in 1670 by his eldest son, Capt. James Wynne, who fought on the Williamite side at the siege of Derry, later at the Boyne. The Wynne family occupied Hazelwood House for three hundred years, during which time all the head's of the Wynne household, with only one exception, bore the name of Owen Wynne.
The Wynnes
Lt. General Owen Wynne II (c.1664-1736/7) Lieut-General Owen Wynne of Hazlewood, the third son of Owen Wynne I of Lurganboy, was born in 1664 or 1665. He was educated at Trinity College, Dublin, and studied for the Bar. In 1689 he was captain in the Earl of Roscommon's Regiment of Foot and in the following year fought with the Williamite forces at the Boyne. He served at the Battles of the Boyne, Aughrim and Eniskillen, and through the whole of Queen Anne's wars in Flanders; his regiment of foot ("Wynne's Foot") raised in the year 1701, was "broke" as a Whig regiment in 1713, but on the accession of George I he raised the 9th Regiment of Dragoons. With his military pay and appointments, and perhaps for other reasons unknown] he succeeded in becoming a rich man. He was able in 1720 to buy land in Co. Cavan for œ15,000 from the Duke of Wharton. Two years later, in 1722, Owen Wynne bought the family's estates in Co. Sligo [comprising in total c.14,500 acres] for £20,000. The conveyance included parts of the town of Sligo, together with the town's fairs, markets, tolls and customs. These, although profitable, were to cause much trouble and controversy in later years. At Hazelwood he built his house, to the designs of the German rchitect, Richard Cassels Owen Wynne II died in 1737. He left his estate to his nephew, Owen Wynne III. Writing at the beginning of the following century, the Rev. Richard Wynne, brother of Owen Wynne V, stated that General Wynne was offered a peerage but refused it; he [the General] said he would rather be the first of the commoners than the last of the peers. Even if he had accepted a peerage, the title would have become extinct on his death
Colonel Owen Wynne III (c.1686-1755) When Owen Wynne III succeeded his uncle in 1737 he was the first of the Wynnes to combine in one ownership the family lands in Counties Leitrim, Cavan and Sligo. As soon as he was able, he served the Crown, aged 19 or 20, by joining the army, buying a company two years later and served several years in Flanders. He married his first cousin Catherine, daughter of Colonel John Ffolliott of Donegal and his wife Lucy daughter of Owen Wynne I. Owen III and Catherine had three sons, James, Owen (later Owen IV) and John, and two daughters, Lucy and Hannah. Hannah in 1743 married William Ormsby, MP, of Willowbrook (three miles from Sligo, on the road to Glencar). She thus became an ancestress of the Ormsby-Gore family. Owen III was High Sheriff of Co. Sligo in 1723 and 1745, he filled the same office in Co. Leitrim in 1724. He died aged 79 in 1755. His wife, Catherine, died in 1778. Owen III's eldest son, James, died in 1748, eight years before his father's death. He was MP for Co. Sligo from 1737 to his death. He married Susanna, eldest daughter and co-heiress of Sir Arthur Shaen, 2nd and last baronet of Kilmore, Co. Roscommon, but they had no children. This marriage was hardly a success, as there was a lawsuit of 1745 where the plaintiff was Susanna Wynne and the defendant her husband, James Wynne. Owen Wynne III was a colonel in the army, as probably was his second son, Owen IV, and certainly his third son, John. Colonel John Wynne, was MP for Sligo from 1751 to 1760 and again from 1769 to 1778 and for Co. Leitrim from 1761 to 1778. He died unmarried.Owen III died in 1755 and was succeeded by his second son, Owen IV.
The Rt Hon. John Arthur Wynne (1801-1865) In 1830 John Wynne succeeded his father as member of Parliament for the borough. This was by his father’s nomination rather than by election, and it was the last occasion on which such a system could operate; for the Reform Act of 1832 abolished the close or "rotten" boroughs. Following the passing of the Act an election took place, albeit on a very restricted franchise, but in its Wynne was defeated by John Martin. John Martin was the choice of an anti-Wynne faction led by his father, the redoubtable Abraham Martin, the owner of a distillery (George IV thought highly of his whiskey), a flour mill, bakery and the fishing in the Garvogue. In 1843 John Wynne was appointed a member of the Devon Commission which under the chairmanship of the Earl of Devon, was set up by Peel to examine how far the Irish land system was responsible for the prevailing discontent and disturbance and how far Parliament should interfere. Of the five commissioners four were Irish landlords and the chairman an Englishman who owned property in Ireland. This prompted O'Connell's comment that it would be as reasonable to consult butchers about the Lenten fast as to consult landlords about the rights of tenants. After sitting for two years the commission failed to recommend the reforms later called the 'three Fs’, fair rent, fixity of tenure and freedom for the tenant to sell his interest in the holding. It did propose a limited right to compensation for improvement, but a bill to this effect was defeated in the House of Lords and the report of the commission was no mere whitewash. In 1843, as famine became more severe, John Wynne reduced his rents thereby lowering his annual income by £1,280. Rent arrears inevitably increased, under pressure of the Irish situation, and after much agitation by the Anti-Corn Law League in England, Sir Robert Peel in 1846 repealed the Corn Laws. This step split the Conservative party, the representative of the landed interest, and gave the Whigs a nearly unbroken twenty years of office. A brief Conservative ministry under Lord Derby and Disraeli held office in 1852 ..., [and in the Irish branch of this administration Wynne was offered, and accepted, the office of Under- Secretary in Dublin Castle, at the same time being made a Privy Councillor. In 1856 John Wynne re-entered politics and was elected for the borough by a majority of 31 votes in a total poll of 265; the poll shows the restricted nature of the franchise even after the Reform Act. His opponent was John Patrick Somers, who had defeated John Martin in 1837. He appears to have been a much more colourful personality than Wynne. In 1857, when Wynne and Somers contested the seat again, Wynne petitioned to unseat his opponent. The committee [appointed to try the merits of the election] decided that Somers should be unseated and Wynne declared elected after three Somers votes were transferred to Wynne and a further three votes of voters who were rejected by the poll clerk were awarded to Wynne. Wynne was re-elected in 1859, but advancing ill-health caused him to resign a year later. He had served his community well. He was chairman of the Board of Guardians, the body responsible for poverty relief between 1847 and 1852. He helped to found the Sligo mental hospital. He continued his father's work in agriculture and forestation. He died in 1865 at the age of 64. Bribery and violence reached their peak in the Sligo election of 1868 Parliament had had enough. In 1870 the borough constituency was abolished
The Right Honourable Owen Wynne IV In 1754, before he inherited the family estates, Owen Wynne married Anne Maxwell whose brother, John, the M.P. for County Cavan, was created Baron Famham in the Irish peerage 1756. The Maxwell family had reached Ireland from Scotland in the reign of Elizabeth. By co-incidence Anne's grandfather had been Bishop of Kilmore in 1643. That bishopric was abolished during the Commonwealth. Following the Restoration he was bishop of the combined sees of Kilmore and Ardagh. These are the two sees in which Owen Wynne I in 1658 had, during the Commonwealth, obtained his profitable bishops' leases. Owen IV was elected in 1749 M.P. for Co. Sligo in the Irish Parliament. He became an Irish Privy Councillor in 1756; allowing him the title of Right Honourable. His house in Dubin was in Henrietta Street. This broad street, rising up to what would be the King's Inns, was built on a grand scale. Cassels, (architect of Hazelwood), was responsible for the design of some of the houses. While in Dublin Owen received a regular stream of letters from Edward Martin, his agent in Sligo. These letters, which extend in time from 1758 to 1766, throw much light on the life which revolved around Hazelwood. They refer to estate management, elections and the candidates in them, rents, the recovery and payment of debts, the employment of servants, the cutting of turf, etc.Mrs. Martin was in charge of brewing; pickling salmon in kegs of spice, wine and vinegar, while on one occasion 600 oysters were pickled. As required, kegs were sent to the Wynne household in Dublin. An ice house was constructed, work which required digging to a depth of twenty feet. In 1764 a domestic crisis blew up when a housemaid named Molly Fleming was found to be pregnant, the father being mother servant named Johnston. Molly was discharged and Johnston forgiven. Of Molly, Martin wrote: "I am really sorry for her and I believe her otherwise to be a good servant". As to Johnston, Martin naively commented: "He promises fair he never will be guilty of the like again". The episode is an example of the widely- held view that it is always the woman's fault. Some pages of Martin's ledger relating to disbursements survive. The entries cover the years from 1758-1761 and contain dozens of headings relating to the functioning of an agricultural estate. More personal entries relate to the purchase of brandy and wine. In the three year period there is only one entry relating to port; on that occasion eight dozen bottles were bought. Apart from claret, wines such as hock were bought at a rate of a dozen bottles at a time.
Owen Wynne V (1755-1841) Owen Wynne V was born in 1755 and died aged 86 in 1841. He was twice High Sheriff of Co. Sligo during his father's lifetime. A year after succeeding to the family estates he married Lady Sarah Elizabeth Cole, eldest daughter of the 1st Earl of Enniskillen. The family of Cole had originated in Ireland with Sir William Cole, an undertaker in the plantation of Ulster in the reign of James I. The family seat, Florence Court completed in the 1760s, lies seven miles from Enniskillen. From c.1730, the Wynne and Cole families had been associated, certainly in the making of the Enniskillen-Sligo road and, in the case of the Coles, possibly in the employing of Richard Cassels. Owen V first entered the Irish Parliament in 1778 as member for Co. Sligo, while at the same time his father was member for the borough. Owen junior's opponent in the election was his father's brother-in-law, William Ormsby of Willowbrook. The contest was fought with a great deal of corruption and disorder on both sides, with the result that Owen's election was followed by a petition to unseat him. At the petition hearing petition by a committee of the Irish House of Commons, proceedings which lasted for 2yrs, leading counsel for Wynne was John Philpot Curran, this being the first major case in which the great advocate took part. The committee heard evidence of bribery and evidence that the poll book was stolen and the electoral lists thrown in the river. It is surprising to learn that instead of ordering a fresh election the committee upheld the Wynne election. The hearing costs were so great that, according to O’Rourke, the effects were felt by both families after a lapse of over one hundred years. In subsequent elections, all of them expensive, Owen held one of the county seats until, on the death of his father, he returned himself for the borough seat which had been his father's. He retired from Parliament in 1806 by being appointed Escheator of Munster, purely a nominal post but as an office of profit under the Crown, it disqualified its holder from membership of the Commons. It was a device by which a Member of Parliament could resign in between elections. Its modern equivalent in the UK is the office of Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds. He then "sold" his borough seat to George Canning for an annuity which
by a disfranchisement act. Owen Wynne VI (1843-1910). JP & DL, High Sheriff (1875 & Co. Sligo/Leitrim) 1880, late Lieut 61st Foot Owen Wynne VI Owen VI succeeded to the family estates in 1865 at the age of twenty-three. In his youth he had served as a lieutenant in the 61st Foot Regiment and, as one would expect, he was High Sheriff of Co. Sligo in 1875 and of Co. Leitrim in 1881. At the age of 27 he married Stella Fanny, the younger daughter of Sir Robert Gore-Booth of Lissadell, the 4th baronet. The second half of the 19th century saw the development of what is recognisably modern Ireland. ... In the face of falling prices and crop failures, Michael Davitt founded the Land League which organised mass meetings of tenants throughout Ireland. On 22 August 1880 such a meeting was held at Manorhamilton at which 7,000 people and six bands were present. The Land League was followed by the National League, after the former had been outlawed. The National League in 1886 set in motion the Plan of Campaign which in Co. Leitrim was first put into action in December 1886 on Owen Wynne's estate, for the agent, George Hewson, refused a proposed reduction of 25%. It has been suggested that "The decision of the League to choose the Wynne estate for the Plan may have been influenced by the fact that the landlord was not considered harsh in his dealing with tenants and, therefore, the achievement of a favourable settlement within a short time was a real possibility..." Starting in the late 1880s, Owen Wynne sold his estates, other than the Hazelwood demesne, to the Land Commission for the price of £79,000. This represents about four million pounds at the present day. On Sunday 27 February 1887, Mrs Wynne suffered a serious carriage accident which caused her death. Owen Wynne VI died in 1910 aged 67. One cannot escape the feeling that he was a saddened man. His wife had been tragically killed twenty-three years earlier. The great estates of 15,000 acres of Leitrim and 14,000 acres in Sligo had for the most part been sold. Since he had no male heir, with his death the line of the Wynnes of Hazelwood came to an end.' The house and surprisingly large remaining estate were sold by the last Wynne descendant to own it in 1937. Having looked reasonably sound, and its future reasonably secure, as recently as the early 1980s, it is now in a state of advanced decrepitude, with a huge video tape factory glaring at its garden front at a distance of only 100 yards. The entrance front, in spite of its sorry physical state, still retains something of the austere grandeur of Richard Cassels, economical alike in scale, plan and avoidance of fussy ornamentation, but lavish in the quality of its stonework. Ironically, long before the arrival of the video tape factory, the Wynnes themselves had been out of sympathy with Cassels's at once practical and pleasing Palladinism. Instead of adapting his links and pavilions to domestic use, they had added to the main block piecemeal and in inappropriate places and had destroyed the symmetry of the house by throwing out a crude two-storey wing to the left of the garden front .
of Hazelwood House
Lt. General Owen Wynne II (c.1664-1736/7) Colonel Owen Wynne III (c.1686-1755)
The Right Honourable Owen Wynne IV The Rt Hon. John Arthur Wynne (1801-1865)
Owen Wynne VI (1843-1910). JP & DL, High Sheriff (1875 & Co. Sligo/Leitrim) 1880, late Lieut 61st Foot
Rowing Project Hazelwood House The Wynnes About Us
The Wynnes Chronology
The Wynnes of Hazelwood Chronology Owen II 1664 - 28th Feb 1736/7 1664 Born. 28th Feb 1736/7 Died at Hazlewood, 17th Jun 1737 Probate. Owen III 1686/7 -1756 1686 or 87 Born Married Catherine FFOLLIOT 1702 - 1729 Birth of daughter Hannah 1702 - 1723 Birth of daughter Lucy 1702 - 1732 Birth of son James about 1720 Birth of son John 1723 Birth of son Owen IV 1748 Death of son James 1756 Died Owen IV 1723 - 19th Mar 1789 1723 Born 1754 - 1783 Birth of son Henry Rev Elder 1754 - 1790 Birth of daughter Elizabeth 1754 Married Anne MAXWELL 1754 - 1790 Birth of daughter Judith 1754 - 1790 Birth of son John 1754 - 1779 Birth of son Richard (Rev) 1755 Birth of son Owen V Hazelwood MP 1760 Birth of son Robert 1763 Birth of daughter Catherine in Sligo about 1780 Birth of son William Henry 19 Mar 1789 Died Owen V of Hazelwood MP 1755 - 12th Dec 1841 1755 Born Jan 1790 Married Lady Sarah Elizabeth COLE in Florence Court, Co. Fermanagh 1790 – 1826 Birth of son Owen d y 1790 – 1797 Birth of daughter Anne 1790 – 1826 Birth of daughter Sarah Frances 1790 – 1812 Birth of daughter Florence 1790 – 1826 Birth of daughter Elizabeth 20 Apr 1801 Birth of son John Arthur 6 Sep 1802 Birth of son William Willoughby (Rev) 12 Apr 1812 Death of daughter Florence. Died unmarried 22 Oct 1829 Death of daughter Anne in childbirth 14 Mar 1833 Death of Lady Sarah Elizabeth COLE 12 Dec 1841 Died John Arthur 20 Apr 1801 - 19 Jun 1865 1838 - 1849 Birth of daughter Sarah 1838 - 1849 Birth of daughter Grace Florence 7 Apr 1838 Married Lady Anne Wandesforde BUTLER 5 Feb 1843 Birth of son Owen VI 24 Nov 1847 Birth of son James 27 Nov 1849 Death of Lady Anne Wandesforde BUTLER 19 Jun 1865 Died Owen VI 5 Feb 1843 Born 1 Nov 1870 Married Stella Fanny GORE-BOOTH 1870 – 1878 Birth of daughter Muriel Caroline Louisa 1870 – 1886 Birth of daughter Evelyn Mary 1870 – 1887 Birth of daughter Dorothy Adelaide 1870 – 1887 Birth of daughter Madeline Mary 1 Mar 1887 Death of Stella Fanny GORE-BOOTH ` 'accidentally killed, 27th Feb
The Wynne Papers
Are a small and mainly regimental archive, 1689-1767 and 1783, derive from an Irish family of that name related to the Wynnes of Hazelwood, Co. Sligo, and Lurganboy, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim. The family appears to have had many connections with the regiments which were formed from the Enniskillen contingents at the beginning of 1690. The papers relate mainly to military administration. There are (surprisingly) no references to actual fighting, except abroad.
Enniskillen Origins The earliest document in the archive is a copy of an association entered into by the subscribing inhabitants of Enniskillen, about 150 in number, under Gustavus Hamilton, whom they accepted as their commander and governor of the town (13 February 1688/1689). The mounted regiments which were formed from the Enniskilleners were one of horse, under the command of William Wolseley, and two of dragoons, under the command respectively of Sir Albert Conyngham and James Wynne. The horse regiment was soon broken up and one of the papers (letter of 17 February 1689/1690) directs that troopers in it who refuse to be 'broke [ie drafted] into' Sir Albert Conyngham's dragoons are to be punished by the confiscation of their horses. Wynne's Dragoons The greater part of the papers relate to Wynne's Dragoons. They seem to have been initially a most undisciplined lot, as an autograph letter of 7 March 1689/1690 from Marshal Schomberg (the Williamite general in Ireland), written from Lisburn, orders the arrest of Capt. Hugh Galbraith on account of disorders committed by members of his troop. A further letter from Schomberg of 27 March 1690 orders the arrest of two members of Galbraith's troop for entering the house of John Crosier near Enniskillen and killing the owner. On 23 October 1690 disorders by the Enniskillen troops gave rise to specific censure. However, this phase seems to have passed, for a letter of 3 May 1692 says that Wynne's Dragoons 'bore a good character with all'. Wynne's Dragoons, being required both as scouts and to check any local outbreak were continually on the move. In February 1690 Colonel Wynne was given the freedom of Londonderry City. In June 1690, his regiment received orders to march to Belturbet, and on 16 June received an order signed by William III himself to move to join the rest of the army between Armagh and Tanderagee. After the Boyne it appears to have been stationed around Mullingar. On 18 Dece 1690 an order was issued for it to go to Enniskillen, and in Jan 1690 it appears to have been quartered along the left bank of the Foyle between Inishown and Raphoe. A letter of 3 May 1692 shows that there had been continual bickering with the locals, high and low, over quartering, on the ground that the settled allowance was too small. In May 1691 the corps was again at Belturbet, but soon marched south, for it appears at Athlone in June 1691. Here the cavalry were apparently set to work at the trenches like infantry, to their considerable disgust. By October 1691 the country had apparently been exhausted by continual requisitions, for an officer writing from Breckagh says 'there is not a bit of grass for four miles, the country being ruined by O'Donnell's men'. Foreign Service In 1694 the regiment was in France, having lost half a troop at sea, apparently when crossing from Ireland. Here one of the Wynnes (probably Owen), serving as major in his brother's regiment, was taken prison are subsequently released. About June 1695 Colonel James Wynne was wounded and died within the following two months, being succeeded by Owen Wynne. In January 1696 the regiment was at Bruges, probably in winter quarters. From this point the papers become accounts rather than anything else, but include the interesting information that, for example, in July 1697 officers were receiving their pay in lottery tickets on the Malt Fund; these tickets were exchangeable for cash but only at a heavy discount. In Peacetime Among the later papers is an undated recommendation for Commissioners of Array in Cos Sligo and Leitrim, probably in 1715. Another undated paper of post-6 August 1732 gives a list of the officers of Wynne's Dragoons with the dates of their commissions. In 1735, there is another list of the officers of Wynne's Dragoons. In c.1737 there is a draft or copy of a petition from (Lt-Colonel) Owen Wynne soliciting to succeed General Wynne, deceased, as Governor of Londonderry. There are two groups of interesting documents relating to barracks: estimates of c.1730 by Thomas Burgh, Engineer and Surveyor-General for Ireland, for building a barrack at Lurganboy, Co. Leitrim, and memorials, estimates and a plan of c.1756-1761 submitted by Lt-Colonel Owen Wynne to the Lord Lieutenant, the Duke of Bedford, for repairs to the barrack in Sligo. Later documents (of a non-military nature) include a commission of Andrew Wynne as sheriff of Co. Sligo, 1721, an Exchequer writ of summons directed to Owen Wynne, 1755, and an Are a are are a small and mainly regimental archive, 1689-1767 and 1783, derive from an Irish family of that name related to the Wynnes of Hazelwood, Co. Sligo, and Lurganboy, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim. The family appears to have had many connections with the regiments which were formed from the Enniskillen contingents at the beginning of 1690. The papers relate mainly to military administration. There are (surprisingly) no references to actual fighting, except abroad.
Rowing Project Hazelwood House The Wynnes About Us
Rowing Project Hazelwood House The Wynnes About Us
The Wynne Papers
Are a small and mainly regimental archive, 1689-1767 and 1783, derive from an Irish family of that name related to the Wynnes of Hazelwood, Co. Sligo, and Lurganboy, Manorhamilton, Co. Leitrim. The family appears to have had many connections with the regiments which were formed from the Enniskillen contingents at the beginning of 1690. The papers relate mainly to military administration. There are (surprisingly) no references to actual fighting, except abroad.
During the period three hogsheads (46 gallons each) of claret were bought from a wine merchant in Derry. When Owen was High Sheriff of Co. Sligo in 1758 he paid for such items as the entertainment of the judges, the provision of trumpeters and halberdiers and the transport of felons to Dublin. As is shown in a receipted bill of 1785 he paid a total of £23 to a Dublin boat builder for a 20 foot boat, together with its masts, sails, rigging and oars. This boat was transported by road to Lough Gill.Systematic forestation was carried out on the Wynne estate and in other lands taken on long leases for the purpose. By an Act of the Irish Parliament of 1783/84 a financial advantage was offered for the planting of trees, and for this purpose the landowner had to make annually a sworn return stating the varieties and numbers of trees planted during the previous twelve months. The record of these returns extends in time from 1785 to 1835 and thus relate to Owen IV and Owen V. During this fifty years period the number of trees planted is just short of 200,000. Twenty-three different varieties were included, the largest number being Scots fir, alder and ash, with oak and beech not far behind. Owen IV died in 1789 leaving six sons and three daughters. His eldest son, Owen, succeeded to the family estates. The next son, John, died unmarried while the other sons. Henry, Robert, Richard and William founded families of their own, thus accounting for the extended family of Wynne who survive and thrive to the present day. There were in addition three daughters, Elizabeth, Judith and Catherine.
Lt. General Owen Wynne II (c.1664-1736/7) Colonel Owen Wynne III (c.1686-1755)
The Right Honourable Owen Wynne IV The Rt Hon. John Arthur Wynne (1801-1865)
Owen Wynne VI (1843-1910). JP & DL, High Sheriff (1875 & Co. Sligo/Leitrim) 1880, late Lieut 61st Foot
The Wynnes Chronology & Wynne Papers
continued until 1820 when the seat was resumed by Owen. ... [While still a member of the Irish Parliament], he voted against the ... [the Union], as also did the two county members, Joshua Edward Cooper and Charles O'Hara. ... [When] a meeting of Protestants was held in the court house of Sligo on 12 August 1812, it passed four resolutions [hostile to Catholic Emancipation], each proposed by Owen Wynne.
Lt. General Owen Wynne II (c.1664-1736/7) Colonel Owen Wynne III (c.1686-1755)
The Right Honourable Owen Wynne IV The Rt Hon. John Arthur Wynne (1801-1865)
Owen Wynne VI (1843-1910). JP & DL, High Sheriff (1875 & Co. Sligo/Leitrim) 1880, late Lieut 61st Foot
The Wynnes Chronology & Wynne Papers
Contact the Hazelwood Heritage Society